Wowza Streaming Engine 4.7.8 and later is built on Java 9 (OpenJDK Java SE JRE 9.0.4) and supports Java versions 9 - 12. Earlier versions of Java aren't supported.
Important notes about changing the Java version:
- Previous versions of Wowza Streaming Engine media server software were built on Java 8. If you're updating an earlier installation of Wowza Streaming Engine to version 4.7.8 or later, you must install OpenJDK Java SE JRE 9.0.4 before running the Wowza Streaming Engine updater. For your convenience, we've provided the OpenJDK Java SE JRE 9.0.4 files as a zip on the Downloads tab of your Wowza account.
- With the release of Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.5, we've repackaged the available version of OpenJDK Java SE JRE 9.0.4 to address an issue that caused a memory leak in Wowza Streaming Engine Manager. To take advantage of this fix, use the custom packaged version of OpenJDK when upgrading to Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.5 or later.
- If your Wowza Streaming Engine workflow uses custom modules or plugins, we recommend that you test them with Wowza Streaming Engine 4.7.8 or later in a non-production environment prior to updating your media server software. The following Java modules are included:
- jdk.unsupported (available with Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.5 and later)
- java.scripting (available with Wowza Streaming Engine 4.8.5 and later)
For more information, see Manually install and troubleshoot Java on Wowza Streaming Engine.