Wowza Streaming Engine is a Java application that requires the installation of a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) that supports deploying Java in a 64-bit or 32-bit server environment. Java 6, Java 7, and Java 8 are all supported but Java 8 is recommended. You can run Wowza Streaming Engine on a 32-bit Java client JRE but should do so for evaluation purposes only, and you will need to perform the additional configuration described in this article.
- Navigate to [install-dir]/conf/ and open Tune.xml in a text editor.
- Remove the <VMOption>-server</VMOption> property from the file.
- Save the file and restart the Wowza media server if it was running.
- Navigate to your Java installation bin folder, typically located at [java-install-dir]\bin.
- Create a folder named server.
For example, if your default Java installation root is C:\Program Files\java\jre7, create the following folder:
- Copy the contents of the [java-install-dir]\bin\client folder to the [java-install-dir]\bin\server folder.
- Confirm that the JAVA_HOME environment variable value matches the Java installation root ([java-install-dir]), for example, C:\Program Files\java\jre7.
If the variable value is incorrect, see How to manually install and troubleshoot Java on your Wowza media server for instructions on how to change it.
Originally Published: For Wowza Streaming Engine on 11-06-2014.
If you're having problems or want to discuss this article, post in our forum.