Wowza™ Media Systems provides Wowza ClearCaster™ software updates that have new features and functionality as well as bug fixes. This article provides details about the latest software updates and describes known issues with the software.
The latest build is Wowza ClearCaster 1.0.5 build 17 (188.8.131.52) released on December 20, 2018.
Note: See Update Wowza ClearCaster Software to learn how to update your ClearCaster device to the latest software version.
New features and functionality
Wowza ClearCaster 184.108.40.206 includes several enhancements and bug fixes.
Custom broadcast monitoring view (beta)
Wowza ClearCaster 220.127.116.11 adds public preview support for using a customized monitoring view to monitor broadcasts. The custom monitoring view is displayed on a local monitor connected to the ClearCaster via HDMI. A custom monitoring view is a great way to ensure visibility of the data you care about most. Because this is a preview feature, please contact Wowza Support if you'd like to build your own custom monitoring view.
Support for multiple audio channels
Wowza ClearCaster 18.104.22.168 adds support for multiple audio channels. This can be configured at the appliance level and serve as a default for all broadcasts associated with the ClearCaster, or on a per-broadcast basis. If multiple audio channels aren't specified, a single audio channel is used for the broadcast.
Support for default titling and graphics
Support for recording broadcasts on your ClearCaster (beta)
Wowza ClearCaster 22.214.171.124 adds public preview support for recording high-quality H.264 renditions of broadcasts. Note that this is a preview feature and storage is limited to a single event. When you need to make room for a new recording, you can use a USB flash drive to archive it. Please contact Wowza Support if you need assistance with this feature.
Latest encoder software build
The latest version is Wowza ClearCaster 1.0.5 build 17 (126.96.36.199) released on December 20, 2018.
Changes (since 188.8.131.52)
- Added a new driver environment to setenv.sh.
- Fixed an issue that occurred when running a version of Java earlier than Java 10 and trying to get the CPU load using the system MBean.
- Restored the Quick Sync libraries to the lib-native folder.
- Added the NGCodec demo encoders plugins, limiting the reference frames for Quick Sync encodes to two because anything more causes issues.
- Updated to the latest version of x264 and recompiled on Ubuntu 18.04.1
- Fixed an issue with osupdate updates.
- Enabled support for manually entering and editing a second DNS server in the network configuration file.
- Updated the LCD screens to support other personalities, such as Workplace by Facebook.
- Fixed a typo on the LCD screens.
- Added captureSessionAudioLevel data to system monitor event.
- Updated the capture card limit to 30 frames per second (fps) when encoding to 30 fps or lower. In that case, the frame rate is reduced by half for anything that is greater than 30 fps.
- Fixed issue so that the Quick Sync libraries are included in the ClearCaster software builds.
- Added a model for multiple renditions (adaptive bitrate streaming).
- Removed a dependency on DataTypeConverter, which isn't included in Java 9.
- Added a check to ensure that, when editing an IPv4 IP address with the LCD screen, each triplet value doesn't exceed 255. If you attempt to change a value to something greater than 255, the change isn't saved.
- Refactored code to support multiple renditions and stream targets. Currently, only the largest frame size and one of the stream targets is used for bitrate adjustments.
- Fixed an issue with automatically adjusting the frame rate when the source stream changes.
- Fixed an issue that prevented titling and graphics overlays from displaying properly after a reboot.
- Added support for expanding a 4x3 video source to 16x9 (anamorphic squeeze).
- Added an aspectRatioMode setting, where 0 is cropped and 1 is stretched.
- Enhanced the log collection to ensure that */etc/resolv.conf is copied to the system-info folder.
- Added a ClearCasterBroadcastSession.goKuveRecording method to signify for Facebook recording when to start recording.
- Added the overlay graphics configuration into CommandDeviceGetStatus.
- Map devices to overlay graphics so that they are recognized.
- Updated to ensure default settings work when the encoder is first added to a broadcast.
- Added support for broadcast-specific settings that override appliance-level settings.
- Added a fragmented MP4 writer so that files can play in QuickTime.
- Update the LCD to use the CaptureState to calculate FPS on the Stream Health screens.
- Added intrinsic scaler by half scaling and better.
- Added transcoder support for minQP, maxQP, and constantQP to the NVENC encoder.
- Added additional fields to the system monitor to track overheating events: cpuCoreInfo, coreThrottleCount, packageThrottleCount, and scalingCurrentFrequency.
- Added initial support for pushing MPEG-DASH to Facebook.
- Added support for audio channel mapping in the transcoder capture system. Added audio channel level data to capturesessioninfo, and added devicesetaudiochannelmap to change the channel mapping.
- Added the title field to the system monitor data.
- Fixed an issue with the titling and graphics overlays not updating when the URL was changed.
- Added the field monitorBrowserGraphics to the system monitor data.
- Added new telemetry data fields and propagated some to the incremental data.
- Added support for parsing the new audio data sent by the encoder.
- Added a way to turn on and off SSH validation.
- Fixed a problem with capture settings being propagated to the LCD screen.
- Added support for a single ClearCaster recording.
- Switched the WebSocket implementation from Neovisionaries to Netty to get support for socks4/5 proxies.
- Added support for SOCKS/HTTP proxy to ClearCaster.
- Fixed a problem with the channel map and volume not being applied when set at the start of a broadcast.
Latest updates to ClearCaster Manager
The latest version was released on December 17, 2018.
- Added an option to set default titling and graphics for all broadcasts associated with a ClearCaster appliance.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the FPS from being reported in the Wowza ClearCaster Manager.
- Added an option to create a custom broadcast monitoring view over HDMI.
- Added ability to configure default and per-broadcast audio channel mappings.
- Fixed an issue with pairing a ClearCaster appliance with Facebook for the first time.
- Fixed an issue that caused both ClearCaster appliances to be labeled as active in some redundancy use cases.