Wowza™ Media Systems provides Wowza ClearCaster™ software updates that have new features and functionality as well as bug fixes. This article provides details about the latest software updates and describes known issues with the software.
The latest build is Wowza ClearCaster 1.0.4 build 17 (18.104.22.168) released on July 26, 2018.
Note: See Update Wowza ClearCaster Software to learn how to update your ClearCaster device to the latest software version.
New features and functionality
New options for broadcasts to Facebook Live
Wowza ClearCaster 22.214.171.124 includes several enhancements and new features for broadcasts to Facebook Live. For more information, see Create a Wowza ClearCaster broadcast for Facebook Live.
Beta support for adding titling and graphics to Facebook Live broadcasts
When configuring Wowza ClearCaster broadcasts to Facebook Live in Wowza ClearCaster Manager, you now have the option to add browser-based graphics overlays to the broadcasts. When using this beta feature, the video source is encoded, and then the graphics overlays are superimposed on top of the video. This ensures that even if something happens to your graphics application during a broadcast, the video stream will continue without interruption. We are most closely integrated with Vidpresso:LIVE, but you can also configure a broadcast to use other graphics applications as long as they output a URL. For more information, see Add titling and graphics to a Wowza ClearCaster broadcast
Note: The Titling and Graphics functionality, including integration with Vidpresso, is a beta. You may experience unpredictable behavior when using this feature. Contact Wowza Support to request access to the Videpresso integration beta.
Redundancy for broadcasts
You can now configure Wowza ClearCaster broadcasts to Facebook like with a primary ClearCaster device as well as a secondary, redundant ClearCaster device that will only be used in case of a failure with the broadcast from the primary ClearCaster. Note that this option is only available if you have more than one ClearCaster registered with your Wowza account. For more information, see Set up redundant ClearCaster live streams for Facebook Live broadcasts.
Donations on Facebook Live broadcasts
You can now add a Donate button to your broadcasts to a Timeline or a verified Facebook Page for a nonprofit or charity. For more information on Facebook's strict requirements for eligibility, see Facebook Charitable Giving Tools.
Rotated vertical (9:16) aspect ratios
We've enhanced the vertical aspect ratio offerings to include the ability to rotate the video to the left or right by 90 degrees. This can be selected on a per-broadcast basis.
Support for simulcasting to Wowza Streaming Cloud while in preview
We've added an option when adding a simulcast target that allows you to enable the target to simulcast to Wowza Streaming Cloud while the Facebook Live broadcast is in preview. This is a great way to ensure your simulcast workflow is working when you go live. For more information, see Simulcast a Wowza ClearCaster Live Stream on Facebook Live and Wowza Streaming Cloud.
New network configuration tool
The new Wowza ClearCaster Network Configuration Tool, available in ClearCaster Manager under the Support tab, makes it easier to configure network settings for your ClearCaster device. This tool enables you to assign a static IP address and use DNS servers. For more information, see How to manage Wowza ClearCaster network IP settings.
Support for broadcasting to Workplace by Facebook
Facebook Live (facebook.com) remains the primary use-case for Wowza ClearCaster devices, but you can now request access to use your ClearCaster device with Workplace by Facebook. When granted access, all you need to do is update a device-level setting and pair the Workplace account with the ClearCaster. To request access, contact Wowza Support. For more information, see How to configure Wowza ClearCaster to stream to Workplace by Facebook.
Latest encoder software build
The latest version is Wowza ClearCaster 1.0.4 build 17 (126.96.36.199) released on July 26, 2018.
Changes (since 188.8.131.52)
- Added support for the Vidpresso:LIVE API.
- Connected the Vidpresso remote API calls to set a broadcast ID.
- Improved the way ClearCasters handle interlaced frames.
- Added a progress bar to be displayed on the LCD screen during an update.
- Improved the update progress bar so that it now includes any necessary additional steps and pauses for clarity.
- Added the update progress bar view to the Talent View display.
- Fixed the encoder so that if it's interrupted mid-stream, the LIVE timer will pick up where it left off before the interruption.
- Added the ability for Blackmagic transcoders capture to set the frame size for a frame that is generated when no source is connected.
- Added the ability to track the frame size of the last captured frame, including any scaling applied because of target frame size or "no-source" frames being scaled.
- Configured the default frame size for "no-source" frames to be 1920x1080.
- Updated the simulcast start/stop logging to include the name of the simulcast target.
- Added support for vertical video aspect ratios that are rotated left or right.
- Fixed an issue with the Go Live where the encoder was not fetching the encoding settings when the state machine switched from capture to live.
- Improved the countdown timer.
- Improved the color conversion from BT 709 YUV to RGB on the Talent View.
- Fixed osupdate updates.
- Enabled manual editing of two DNS servers in the LCD Settings > Network Info menu.
- Added a Workplace by Facebook 'personality' to the ClearCaster and LCD settings.
- Updated how we handle timecodes to increase accuracy and improve reliability for scheduled broadcasts.
Latest updates to ClearCaster Manager
The latest version was released on July 26, 2018.
- Updated the device information and options displayed on the ClearCasters page, including removing the option to Go Live and End Broadcasts from here. Instead, if a ClearCaster is associated with a broadcast, a link to the broadcast is provided.
- Added several new options to the Facebook Live broadcast workflow: redundancy, aspect ratios, tags, donate, and overlays/Vidpresso integration.
- Added support for using a ClearCaster to broadcast to Workplace by Facebook.
- Added an option to enable simulcast targets to start simulcasting to Wowza Streaming Cloud while the Facebook Live broadcast is still in preview.
Incorrect link provided to pair with Workplace by Facebook in the Talent View
If you're using an encoder build earlier than Wowza ClearCaster 184.108.40.206, the link and instructions provided on the Talent View for pairing your device with Facebook or Workplace will always link to www.facebook.com/device. If you're trying to pair with a Workplace account, you must navigate to work.facebook.com/device. For more information about pairing with Facebook and Workplace, see Pair Wowza ClearCaster with Facebook.
Discuss this article in the Wowza ClearCaster forum.